Sometimes referred to as a cap, a dental crown is used to treat a significant cavity, protect a fragile tooth, rescue a damaged tooth, or cover a discolored tooth. Built to be positioned over the desired tooth and specifically colored to match the adjacent teeth to provide a desired appearance, a dental crown maintains and reinstates functionality to weakened teeth. The dentists of DentalWorks - Wake Forest offer several methods for crowns to best care for the concerns of men and women in Wake Forest, NC.
During your initial appointment with a highly trained member of the DentalWorks - Wake Forest dental team, we will talk about the various crown material options with you to allow you to select the ideal material that addresses your dental needs, smile goals, and finances. When you would like to discover more about the different kinds of crowns and how they can strengthen your smile, then read below for further detailed information.
THE BEST CANDIDATES TO RECEIVE A DENTAL CROWN:
One of our dental professionals might recommend a dental crown as a solution for several reasons, such as:
- For protection of a damaged, decaying tooth in order to lessen future dental problems
- As a way to cover a fractured tooth, defending it from uncovered nerves, which could lead to extreme sensitivity and irritation
- If a cavity is too large to be treated with a regular filling
- To operate as an anchor to hold dental bridges in place
- To recover a tooth’s functionality and aesthetics following a root canal
- Utilized cosmetically to disguise discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- To act as a support structure for loose or damaged teeth
KINDS OF CROWNS
Depending on an individual's goals, tooth placement, and preferences, crowns are made from multiple substances. Though some crowns could last upwards of 15 years, others are merely a momentary fix.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Thought of as the most ideal cosmetic option, this dental crown has a color-match incomparable to any other material. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are most often used on the forward teeth and modeled after the shape, color, and size of the patient’s existing teeth. This material is also ideal for patients withwho suffer from] sensitivites to metal.
- Temporary: This type of crown is made from acrylic or stainless steel and is most often created in the dental professional's practice for quicker coveragecompared to a long-lasting crown prepared in a dental laboratory.
- Metal: A metal crown is normally created with stainless steel or various other metals, which are individualized for the patient's required needs.
- Porcelain over Metal: A porcelain over metal crown is an option for covering forward or back teeth and boosts the strength of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain enables the dental professional to custom match the current enamel of neighboring teeth for a cohesive look.
HOW IT WORKS
The first action for men and women in Wake Forest, NC to obtain a dental crown is to talk with a dentist at DentalWorks - Wake Forest during a consultation. At this consultation, digital or physical impressions of your smile will be taken, which allows for the individualized fit of your crown. When your dental crown is complete, the treatment area will be numbed with a local anesthetic so the current tooth may be prepared to ensure the crown’s fit. Further impressions are needed to check the appropriate fit and bite prior to it being cemented of the crown atop the current tooth or fixed to a dental implant. The correct shape of the crown ensures long-term durability. The overall treatment may take a number of weeks to complete, as crowns will be sent to a lab for customization. When needed, a temporary crown can be recommended.
As soon as the anesthesia has worn off, routine daily activities may be returned to. The team at DentalWorks - Wake Forest may give detailed after-care instructions, which are necessary to follow for an ideal recovery and restoration. We will discuss with you the most effective method to tend to your crown, including which foods to stay away from. For individuals who grind their teeth or tighten their jaws, a nighttime guard can be suggested to maintain your crown. It is crucial to continue your annual dental exams at DentalWorks - Wake Forest to ensure optimal oral health for years to come. Regular daily brushing and flossing may help to keep away decay or gum disease and the need for additional crowns later on.
Devoted to your excellent oral health, DentalWorks - Wake Forest provides treatments for men and women in Wake Forest, NC featuring the latest dental procedures, such as dental crowns. Men and women who require a crown can rest assured knowing they have choices that meet their aesthetic concerns and budget. If you are interested in receiving a dental crown and want to discover more regarding this state-of-the-art procedure, we encourage you to talk with us or set up an appointment with DentalWorks - Wake Forest today.